I first started designing and making bags out of curiosity while studying at university and over the past sixteen years have experimented and developed a range of products of which I'm extremely proud.
Each and every product I create is handmade by myself completely in my studio in the Nicholas Building. Whilst this means I can't produce a very large number quantity of products it does allow me to personalise each and every one for customers and have a great deal of flexibility in the number of sizes and textile options I can offer.
Many of these textiles are produced in collaboration with other local designers, illustrators and artists and printed on my own digital fabric printer in my studio (again giving my a lot of flexibility with my production as I can basically print fabric as required).
Another benefit of producing everything personally is that I can be sure of the quality of each product which is why I'm able to offer a Lifetime Guarantee.
Further details can be found about my BACKSTORY here →
- I first started making bags for myself and friends in 2000 while studying Mechanical Engineering and Industrial Design at Swinburne University.
- These initial bags were designed to carry heavy loads on my vintage Vespa motorscooter as no other suitable bags were available.
- The name 'mattt' was created around this time and is an abbreviation of my name Matt Thomson.
- In 2003 I started participating in local weekly craft markets including the St Kilda Esplanade Market, Rose Street Market and Arts Centre Market. These were a core part of my business for about least ten years. In 2013 I stopped doing markets to focus on online sales.
- In 2004 I moved my business into a shared studio space in the Nicholas Building on Flinders Lane in the Melbourne CBD.
- In 2008 I moved to a retail and production premises on Gertrude Street, Fitzroy. At this point I had a large number of stockists and weekly markets. In 2011 I reduced both the number of markets and stockists to focus on bespoke and made-to-order products.
- I then moved back into the Nicholas Building and set up mattt SHOP, a standalone workspace and retail shop which is my current business premises.
Whilst I don't have a particularly curated or polished 'brand story' there are a couple of conventions that have consistently cropped up over the years that it might be easier to clarify in one place.
- The business name is 'mattt', all lowercase, with three t's and without any extra descriptors such as 'mattt bags' etc
- High resolution versions of the logo can be downloaded here HIGH RESOLUTION JPG (686KB) or HIGH RESOLUTION EPS (1.01MB)
Cultural projectsOver the years I've been lucky enough to work with a number of local and national cultural partners to create one-off products. A couple of these are:
- Melbourne International Film Festival - A range of recycled banner bags and custom printed textiles for festival visitors and mechandise
- Melbourne Recital Centre - A customised range of branded shoulderbags for ushers use during performances
- Opera Australia - A bespoke range of mechandise created in collaboration with Michelle Macintosh for the Ring Cycle series of performances.
- City of Melbourne - A collection of one-off shoulderbags for use as gifts for visiting dignitaries
About Matt Thomson
Like many small product design businesses pretty much everything at mattt including product design, digital printing, production, sales and website is undertaken by myself Matt Thomson.
Whilst this means that there is always something (or three) to be done, it also means I've a great understanding about how all of the parts of the business work together and how running a small business can be optimised and simplified using technology.
Feel free to get in touch if you'd like to know more as I'm always happy to share what I know ☺
Please feel free to contact me should you require further information or high resolution images product images etc.